December 30, 2020
As we move closer to having vaccines more widely available, there appear to be additional options for staff and “long term care” residents:
- Both Walgreens and CVS are engaged in providing the vaccine onsite in group homes, and ICF/IIDs, though the scheduling is challenging because it is apparently by location (zip code?).
- In order to be ready for the first round of vaccine, it is perhaps wise to go ahead and contact families or guardians to get the permission process started and to solicit from all staff an indication of interest in receiving the vaccine.
- CDC Definition: HCP refers to all paid and unpaid persons serving in healthcare settings who have the potential for direct or indirect exposure to patients or infectious materials, including body substances (e.g., blood, tissue, and specific body fluids); contaminated medical supplies, devices, and equipment; contaminated environmental surfaces; or contaminated air. HCP include, but are not limited to, emergency medical service personnel, nurses, nursing assistants, home healthcare personnel, physicians, technicians, therapists, phlebotomists, pharmacists, students and trainees, contractual staff not employed by the healthcare facility, and persons not directly involved in patient care, but who could be exposed to infectious agents that can be transmitted in the healthcare setting (e.g., clerical, dietary, environmental services, laundry, security, engineering and facilities management, administrative, billing, and volunteer personnel).
- Performing a role that is patient-facing
- Performing a role as a first responders, such as fire fighters or law enforcement that are acting as EMS-extenders through dealing directly with patients