April 20, 2020
The Virginia Department of Health (VDH) continues to update its guidance in response to this emerging, rapidly evolving situation.
Testing performed at the Division of Consolidated Laboratory Services (DCLS), Virginia’s state lab, is reserved for patients who meet VDH’s public health priority investigation criteria below. If you have a patient who meets these criteria, please request testing via the online COVID-19 Testing Request Form
. If you are unable to submit your request online, please contact your local health department
- Healthcare worker or first responder with COVID-19 symptoms*
- Person hospitalized with COVID-19 symptoms*
- Person with COVID-19 symptoms* AND who resides or works or is about to be admitted into a congregate setting (e.g., homeless shelter, assisted living facility, group home, prison, detention center, jail, or nursing home).
- Person with COVID-19 symptoms* AND underlying condition that increases the risk of severe COVID-19 (e.g., aged 65 years or older, person with chronic heart or lung disorder, diabetes, or on dialysis, etc.). Until more information is available, VDH is including pregnant women in this category.
- Un- or underinsured person with COVID-19 symptoms*
- Newborn of mother diagnosed with COVID-19 at time of delivery
- Potential cluster of unknown respiratory illness, with priority for healthcare facility outbreaks.**
- All suspected clusters or outbreaks should be reported to the local health department immediately.